Category Archives: Czech Republic ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฟ

Litomyลกl Castle

Litomyลกl Castle was originally a Renaissance arcade-castle of the type first developed in Italy and then adopted and greatly developed in central Europe in the 16th century. Its design and decoration are particularly fine, including the later High-Baroque features added in the 18th century. It preserves intact the range of ancillary buildings associated with an aristocratic residence of this type.

Since 1999 it is a Unesco site.

Thanks to Emerich for the postcard.

repubblica ceca - litomyลกl

Advertisements

Gardens and Castle at Kromฤ›ล™รญลพ

Kromฤ›ล™รญลพย stands on the site of an earlier ford across the River Morava, at the foot of the Chriby mountain range which dominates the central part of Moravia. The gardens and castle ofย Kromฤ›ล™รญลพ are an exceptionally complete and well-preserved example of a European Baroque princely residence and its gardens.

Since 1998 it is a Unesco site.

Thanks to Emerich for the postcard.

repubblica ceca - kromฤ›ล™รญลพ

Holy Trinity Column in Olomouc

This memorial column, erected in the early years of the 18th century, is the most outstanding example of a type of monument specific to central Europe. In the characteristic regional style known as Olomouc Baroque and rising to a height of 35 m, it is decorated with many fine religious sculptures, the work of the distinguished Moravian artist Ondrej Zahner.

Since 2000 it is a Unesco site.

Thanks to Kevan for the postcard.

repubblica ceca - olomouc

Holaลกovice Historical Village Reservation

Holaลกovice is an exceptionally complete and well-preserved example of a traditional central European village. It has a large number of outstanding 18th- and 19th-century vernacular buildings in a style known as South Bohemian Folk Baroque, and preserves a ground plan dating from the Middle Ages.

The settlement was not founded until the period of large-scale colonization of the border regions of Bohemia in the first half of the 13th century. The first written record is in a 1292 document of Wenceslas II, who gave the village, along with several others, to the Cistercian Monastery at Vyลกsรญ Brod, which retained possession until 1848. Until the beginning of the 16th century the area was settled by Czechs, but the plague that ravaged Bohemia in 1521 left only two inhabitants alive. The Cistercians brought in settlers from other possessions of the order in Bavaria and Austria: all the family names listed in a monastic record of 1524-30 were German. There followed a period of prosperity that came to an end with the Thirty Years’ War (1618-48), but the village quickly recovered.

The population remained predominantly German until the creation of the Czechoslovak Republic in 1918. By the time the ethnic Germans were expelled at the end of the Second World War Czechs remained in a minority. The Definitive Cadaster of 1827 reveals that all the farmsteads (with the exception of the barns) in ‘Holschowitz’ were of masonry, not timber-framed, as was the case in most of the villages of Bohemia at that time. Between 1840 and 1880 there was considerable rebuilding in the villages of North Bohemia, and later in South Bohemia, and the style adopted, known as ‘Folk Baroque’, is characteristic of this region.

Since 1998 it is a Unesco site.

Thanks to Ondras for the postcard.

repubblica ceca - halasovice

Pilgrimage Church of St John of Nepomuk at Zelenรก Hora

The Pilgrimage Church of St John Nepomuk at ลฝelena Hora, ลฝdรกr nad Sรกzavou, is a masterpiece of an architectural style that spanned the transition between the Gothic and Baroque traditions.

The Vicar General of the Prague Archbishopric, Jan (John) of Pomuk, died a martyr‘s death in 1393. In 1719 his physical remains were studied by a commission appointed by the Archbishop of Prague of the day when it was found that his tongue was perfectly preserved, which was interpreted as evidence of his sanctity. This initiated a wave of enthusiasm for the cult of the martyr, and in particular at the Cistercian monastery in ลฝdรกr nad Sรกzavou, near the Bohemian border with Moravia. This monastery had inherited the role of the monastery at ลฝelena Hora, near Nepomuk, where St John Nepomuk received his early education.

Since 1994 it is a Unesco site.

Thanks to Ondras for the postcard.

repubblica ceca - zelena

Historic Centre of ฤŒeskรฝ Krumlov

Situated on the banks of the Vltava river, the town was built around a 13th-century castle with Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque elements. It is an outstanding example of a small central European medieval town whose architectural heritage has remained intact thanks to its peaceful evolution over more than five centuries.

There are two main historic areas – the Latrรกn area below the castle and the town proper on the opposite bank, in the meander of the Vltava River. The town has a regular street layout, typical of the planned towns of the Middle Ages, with streets radiating out from the central square and a circular intra-rampart road. The castle contains elements from the Gothic, High Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque styles. It is dominated by the Gothic Hradek with its round tower; this was subsequently converted into a Baroque chateau with the addition of a garden, the Bellaire summer palace, a winter riding school, and a unique Baroque theatre of 1766. Both Latrรกn and the town proper contain undisturbed ensembles of burgher houses from High Gothic onwards. They are notable for their facades, internal layouts and decorative detail, especially carved wooden Renaissance ceilings.

Since 1992 it is a Unesco site.

Thanks to Lucka for the postcard.

unico2014023

Lednice-Valtice Cultural Landscape

Between the 17th and 20th centuries, the ruling dukes of Liechtenstein transformed their domains in southern Moravia into a striking landscape. It married Baroque architecture (mainly the work of Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach) and the classical and neo-Gothic style of the castles of Lednice and Valtice with countryside fashioned according to English romantic principles of landscape architecture. At 200 km2 , it is one of the largest artificial landscapes in Europe.

The composition of the landscape is based on the two chateaux, Lednice and Valtice. The Chateau of Valtice has medieval foundations, but it underwent successive reconstructions in Renaissance, Mannerist and, most significantly, Baroque style. Along with the Baroque Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Maw, it is the dominant feature in the system of avenues created in the 17th and 18th centuries. By contrast, the Lednice chateau is not widely visible, the dominant role being taken by Hartmuth’s exotic minaret, which is in keeping with the romantic ambience of Lednice. The chateau began as a Renaissance villa of around 1570, and then was progressively changed and reconstructed to take account of Baroque, classical and neo-Gothic fashions. It was the 1850 Gothic Revival reconstruction that brought it into harmony with the prevailing romanticism of this part of the landscape. Taking the landscape as a whole, it is the mingling and interplay of Baroque and Romantic elements that gives it a special character: architecture and landscape are intimately associated with one another. All the buildings are sited with great care at high points, as in the case of the Kolonada, the Rendezvous, Fishpond Manor or Pohansko, in the centre of major routes (the obelisk), or on a border or boundary (Hranicni Zamecek on the state boundary between Moravia and Lower Austria).

Since 1996 it is a Unesco site.

Thanks to Jitka for the postcard.

repubblica ceca - lednico 2

Thanks to Radek for the postcard.

unico2014013